We don’t eat what would be considered the usual breakfast of cereal and/or toast….what we make each morning is a very quick, and rather clever, mug muffin!
Now, I can’t cook and I have to admit I don’t particularly like food in general because of my intolerances, but I do actually look forward to my mug muffin every morning…and if I can make it, anyone can!
And it only takes about 5 mins from scratch to being ready to eat!
Our mug muffin version is loosely based on an apple sauce muffin…all you need is a microwave, a microwave proof mug, and the following ingredients…
- 1/2 tablespoon of Cacao butter or similar
- 1 egg
- 2 generous tablespoons of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of a protein powder such as 101 Nutrition
- 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda/powder
- 2 tablespoons of Coconut flour
- Blueberries and/or raspberries
- Optional – You can also add Stevia or a similar product if you require a bit more sweetness
1. Melt the cacao butter (or similar) in the microwave mug.
2. Add egg, vanilla essence and apple sauce to the mug…stir well.
3. Add cinnamon, and other powders (including Stevia if you want more sweetness)…stir well.
4. Add Coconut flour…add it gradually as you don’t want the mixture to become too dry.
5. Add a handful of blueberries and/or raspberries…I stir some into the mixture, leaving a couple on top.
6. Cook in microwave for about 1.30 mins
Now you may find you want to adjust the above to suit your taste…perhaps add in some other healthy powders…the trick is to balance out the ratio between the wet and dry ingredients, otherwise the muffin will turn out too soggy or too dry.
You can eat the muffin directly from the mug, or do what I do…tip it out in a bowl and add some banana and strawberries…delicious!!
After making these every morning for over a year, my husband and I make ours with slightly different ratios to suit our individual tastes…he also tips his out into a bowl but also adds Coconut Cream, which sadly I am allergic to.
And there you have it…the Mug Muffin…quick, simple and healthy…perfect!
I recommend experimenting to find what is your favourite “blend” is…for example, you might prefer it to be more sweeter.
Let me know how you go in the comments below!